Venue: This will be a virtual, online meeting.
Contact: Candida Mckelvey, Democratic Services Officer
Apologies for absence
To record apologies for absence and the attendance of substitute members.
Declarations of interest
To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on the agenda for this meeting.
Urgent business and chairman's announcements
To receive notification of any matters which the chairman determines should be considered as urgent business and the special circumstances which have made the matters urgent, and to receive any announcements from the chairman.
To receive any questions or statements from members of the public that have registered to speak.
REPORTS AND ISSUES FOR THE CONSIDERATION OF THE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
The Scrutiny Committee is asked to consider the call-in of a Cabinet key decision taken on 4 February 2021. The decision relates to ‘Car park order 2021 – consultation results’.
The call-in request was made by Councillor Ian White, Chair of the Scrutiny Committee, for the following reasons:
1. At its meeting on 9 November 2020, the Scrutiny Committee asked that the report be brought back so that further consideration could be given following the public consultation, prior to a decision being made. This point is noted but not addressed in the officer’s report.
2. Public concern over the consideration of their responses to the consultation, with especial concern for residents of Wallingford.
The head of legal and democratic has accepted the call-in request as valid and has called this committee meeting to consider it. The call-in request is deemed valid as it was made within the five days call-in period and seeks to scrutinise a key decision of Cabinet.
The effect of this call-in is that the decision will not be implemented until Scrutiny Committee has considered the matter.
In making the decision, Cabinet considered the attached report and appendices. Cabinet also received advice from the Cabinet member for housing and environment, Councillor David Rouane, and officers at the Cabinet meeting.
The Cabinet decision taken on 4 February 2021 was as follows:
(a) note the comments received on the proposed South Oxfordshire District Council car parking order 2021 and agree to make the following changes:
· Align all charging car parks in the centre of market towns of Didcot, Henley, Wallingford and Thame, as well as Goring, to all have up to one hour of free parking between the charging hours, and to amend charging hours to 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday in all car parks where a charge is made (including introducing free parking for up to one hour in Kings Road and Greys Road car parks, Henley), with the exception of Goldsmiths Lane car park in Wallingford which has up to two hours no charge, and to carry out annual usage surveys;
· Change the current Mondays to Saturdays permitted parking period to charge on Sundays from 10am to 5pm in all car parks, including one hour free, with the exception of Goldsmiths Lane car park in Wallingford;
· Introduce half priced parking permits for electric vehicles only, in line with those vehicles eligible for a discount from the London Congestion Charge (with the exception of Goldsmiths Lane car park in Wallingford);
· Introduce limited waiting in High Street car park, Chinnor;
· Introduce enforcement at charging points for electric vehicles;
(b) authorise the head of legal and democratic to make the new order and to determine the date it comes into effect.
What can the Scrutiny Committee do?
In accordance with the Scrutiny Procedure Rules in the council’s Constitution, the Scrutiny Committee has the following options:
1. The committee may refer the decision back to the decision-maker: Cabinet. The committee must define ... view the full agenda text for item 5.
This item has been added to the Scrutiny Committee agenda at the request of the Chair, Councillor Ian White.
1) To officially inform Scrutiny Committee of the creation of the National Green Grant.
2) The intention to invite Vale of White Horse District Council members to join a task and finish group to make it a joint piece of work. (The Task and Finish Group’s Terms of Reference are attached)
3) To invite members to make suggestions for the way forward.
4) To invite members to participate.